Outdated list of BSPs in rtems-tools/config

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jul 25 13:46:25 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 5:02 AM Christian MAUDERER <
christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noted that some BSPs are missing in the config files in the
> rtems-tools repo. If I didn't miss one it's:
>
>      - aarch64, raspberrypi4b
>      - aarch64, xilinx_zynqmp_lp64_cfc400x
>      - arm, imxrt1166-cm7-saltshaker
>      - arm, stm32h750b-dk
>      - powerpc, mvme2700
>      - powerpc, phycore_mpc5554
>      - riscv, kendrytek210
>      - x86_64, amd64efi
>
> One of the BSPs is from me. I don't know of the other ones.
>
> I noted the configuration files in that repo just now more or less by
> chance when playing around with rtems-bsp-builder. I wasn't aware that
> we have a second list beneath the one printed by the `rtems-bsps` script
> or `waf bsp-list` in the RTEMS repo.

Yep. The list of bsps in the ini files for rtems-bsp-builder get out of
date.
I was probably the last one to try to sync them back in March.

We need some scripting to check them both ways -- additions from rtems
and deletions from RTEMS need to be reflected.

If we had some tool which checked this, I'd be happy to run it to the
cron jobs that do build sweeps and Coverity runs.

> Did I miss that I should have updated rtems-tools (and with that the
> rtems-source-builder) every time I have added a BSP in the past? Or
> would it only make problems if I would update these files manually
> because they are usually created by some script during the release process?

Yes. And we all forget to do it.

I don't know if it is documented at all. It should be. I don't know where it
would go. Tooling to check consistency would help.

The other part of this is the forgotten concept of BSP tiers. Tier 1 is for
BSPs with test results reported on real hardware. We don't see that
regularly.

Tier 2 is simulator testing. We do a lot of that. Speaking for Chris, he'd
like
to see the tests annotated for those not passing.

Tier 3 is "it builds" and we do a good job of keeping that going. I'm not
sure
we have been on a warning search and destroy lately though.

Tier 4 is "does not build". These tend to be transient or precursors to the
architecture losing tooling and us dropping it.

--joel