style patches - discuss

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jul 26 05:15:20 UTC 2023

On 25.07.23 23:41, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> I have sent two initial patches to begin the style reformat. The
> clang-format file is not quite 100%, and it's also not usable by
> anyone else (as I wait for changes to be accepted upstream).
>
> A few things to note:
> * We can always manually override style with good reason. If you see
> something like that in a patch, please let me know.
> * I have started to avoid changing the __asm __ ... blocks, as
> clang-format doesn't do a great job with those at the moment.
> * clang-format also doesn't know how to indent broken if/for loops
> like we prefer. So i may need to continue manual intervention on those
> until I can get around to teaching it how. I believe that is doable,
> but will take me some time to implement and get upstream.
> * clang-format also has a preference to break function declarations
> differently than we do. It will prefer to break after the function
> return type/decorators, rather than in the parameter list. This may be
> something we can tune. For now, I fix this manually.
>
> I may prepare a few more patches tomorrow, but I will leave these two
> for the time being for feedback.

Thanks for the samples. A good test file is
cpukit/score/src/threadqenqueue.c.

In the samples, there are a lot of changes in everything involving ()
and []. I think we should either

* aim for a configuration which performs a minimum set of changes in
files which are close to the existing score style, or

* choose a standard style.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER