style patches - discuss

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Jul 26 15:17:48 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 11:15 PM Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> On 25.07.23 23:41, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> > I have sent two initial patches to begin the style reformat. The
> > clang-format file is not quite 100%, and it's also not usable by
> > anyone else (as I wait for changes to be accepted upstream).
> >
> > A few things to note:
> > * We can always manually override style with good reason. If you see
> > something like that in a patch, please let me know.
> > * I have started to avoid changing the __asm __ ... blocks, as
> > clang-format doesn't do a great job with those at the moment.
> > * clang-format also doesn't know how to indent broken if/for loops
> > like we prefer. So i may need to continue manual intervention on those
> > until I can get around to teaching it how. I believe that is doable,
> > but will take me some time to implement and get upstream.
> > * clang-format also has a preference to break function declarations
> > differently than we do. It will prefer to break after the function
> > return type/decorators, rather than in the parameter list. This may be
> > something we can tune. For now, I fix this manually.
> >
> > I may prepare a few more patches tomorrow, but I will leave these two
> > for the time being for feedback.
>
> Thanks for the samples. A good test file is
> cpukit/score/src/threadqenqueue.c.
>
> In the samples, there are a lot of changes in everything involving ()
> and []. I think we should either
>
> * aim for a configuration which performs a minimum set of changes in
> files which are close to the existing score style, or
>
> * choose a standard style.

I agree. i think I can get clang-format closer to that "minimum set"
but it seems to require still a few more modifications upstream.

Regarding spaces in [], I analyzed the score and found it was not
consistent, but more of the time there were not spaces:
$ grep -r "\[[^[:space:]]" | wc
   2615   17577  191765

$ grep -r "\[[[:space:]]" | wc
    223    1509   16393

So that one is manageable. The situation with spaces after parentheses
is trickier. There is a preference by some to avoid spaces in the
nested parentheses of arithmetic/logic expressions. This seems to be
somewhat consistent, but it is also a bit complicated to detect the
difference between:
z = ( x + y )
z = ( x + (x + y) )

Not impossible, but also not really standard anywhere that I have seen.

Gedare