[RTEMS Tools 0/1] trace/wscript: Improve C++ standard selection

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Jan 19 09:13:45 UTC 2024

On 19.01.24 09:09, Cedric Berger wrote:
> On 19.01.2024 08:55, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 19.01.24 07:58, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> This patch fixes bugs #4908 and #4965 which were reported by RTMES
>>> users.  The patch is from 19 May 2023 and was blocked due to missing
>>> tests on macOS.  I have no macOS system for tests.  Would someone mind
>>> testing this patch?  It would be nice to build the RTEMS Tools on modern
>>> Linux systems with a standard LLVM package.
>>
>> I added a simple CI script to our Github fork of rtems-tools:
>>
>> https://github.com/embedded-brains/rtems-tools
>>
>> It seems that the current tools build with LLVM installed on
>> ubuntu-latest event without the patch:
>>
>> https://github.com/embedded-brains/rtems-tools/actions/runs/7580906673
>>
>> It builds also with the patch:
>>
>> https://github.com/embedded-brains/rtems-tools/actions/runs/7580925618
>>
>> I installed LLVM on macOS using brew, however, the rtems-tools didn't
>> pick it up. How can I build the rtems-tools on macOS with LLVM support?
>
> I'm willing to spend some time testing stuff on macOS.

Thanks for having a look at it.

> However, I don't really understand why you installed LLVM using brew:
> people on MacOS usually use the standard XCode compiler from Apple,
> which is itself based on LLVM.

I don't use macOS myself, so I have no idea how this is set up normally.
It would be great to have the standard approach available as a Github
workflow.

> What needs to be tested exactly?

The rtems-tools need to be built with the LLVM support. For this ./waf
configure needs to find LLVM. If it works it prints out something like this:

Checking for library LLVM                : yes
Checking for header llvm/DebugInfo/Symbolize/Symbolize.h : yes
Checking for header zlib.h                               : yes
Checking for library z                                   : yes
Checking for library ws2_32                              : not found
Checking for compiler flags -std=c++20                   : yes

--
embedded brains GmbH & Co. KG
Herr Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de