Convert test executables to bootloader images?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Jan 21 23:22:52 UTC 2024

On 17/1/2024 11:39 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> attached is a proof of concept. Using a ./waf bootimages command didn't work
> since you don't have a build context in this case. I added a new option:
>
> # If this option is enabled, then boot images for the test programs
> # are built.
> BUILD_BOOT_IMAGES = False
>
> If this option is enabled, then a BSP-specific method is used to build a boot
> image. This method is optional. BSPs can provide it through a new build item
> with type "mkimage", see the powerpc/qoriq example of the attached patches.

Thanks for looking into this. I have not reviewed the patches because they are
attached which means downloading, opening etc and they are stripped from the
list archives so not visible there. I am happy to review changes once I
understand the requirements.

Is there a ticket with requirements for this proposed change?

An existing ticket exists (https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4272) for a GSoC
project that defines a different approach where the conversion is held in the
eco-system depending on data installed with the BSP.

The `rtems-test` command can integrate an eco-system command (#4272) easily so I
would need to understand why creating these binary images in the a build
benefits the projects? I can see it benefiting niche custom testers users may
have but not much more?

The reason an external command was created was to avoid build systems hacks
being used to convert images forcing the project and any future additions to
consider and develop an interface for exporting the needed information. Running
the tests is one user of bootloader images but others exist such as EPICS which
also needs to convert ELF to a bootloader compatible format.