Hello World Details and Deadline

Fri Apr 6 17:04:05 UTC 2012

Hi

We want the hello world to ensure you do indeed have a development
environment working and can navigate the tree. The only student
we have had who failed would have been eliminated by the hello
world requirement. That slot would have gone to another student
who had a better chance of success.

We will not approve your project if you do not meet this. But since
there is a period of evaluation, you can submit proof during that.

But don't use all that time. If you are proposing something that
can't be done on the BSP you did hello world on, then we want
you on something appropriate for your project BEFORE we
announce who gets slots. Some examples where sparc/sis
is not the right BSP for a proposed project:

+ graphics project - you want to be on pc386 for your project
+ ARM MMU - obviously you need to have an ARM BSP
+ TCP/IP Upgrade - will need to compile 1 BSP from every architecture
+ BeagleBoard - some ARM BSP so you have a reference

So sparc/sis hello is minimum. Then we need to get hello world
running on the BSP you will do your work on (or something similar
if proposing a new BSP). That all needs to happen no less than
72 hours before we announce who gets accepted.

FWIW there are at least 3 people with proposals this year who
I KNOW can do the hello world. You all have great previous
RTEMS experience. You still have to do it. This is all part of being fair.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985