ANN: mingw64/mingw-w64 x86_64

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Apr 25 03:44:53 UTC 2012

On 04/25/2012 12:42 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 25/04/12 2:31 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As some of you already might know, with the upcoming release of Fedora
>> 17, Fedora is switching its mingw toolchains from i686-pc-mingw32
>> to i686-w64-mingw32 and x86_64-w64-mingw32 [1]

>> I for one do not have access to 64bit Windows nor am I familar with
>> mingw-w64. Therefore, I'd ask all of those who are using RTEMS on
>> windows to test these packages*.
>
> I have a 32bit XP and 64bit Win7 machine I can test building RTEMS on.
> It will take a little while to get the 64bit Win7 machine set up so it
> will not be this week.

OK, good to know.

> I assume this is just 4.11 ?

Yes, at least for now. ATM, I do not intend to add mingw64 toolchains
for them nor do I know whether this is easily achievable at all[1].

The primarly purpose of this initial step of mine is to investigate the
implications Fedora 17's new linux->mingw cross toolchain has on
building the RTEMS mingw packages and on users.

I resorted to using Fedora's mingw64 target, because target this did not
exist in Fedora's mingw-toolchain and RTEMS toolchain packages before,
and therefore hardly has any impacts on existing RTEMS-mingw installations.

The next step would be to replace RTEMS-4.11's i686-pc-mingw32 built
mingw32 packages by Fedora 17's i686-w64-mingw32-built packages.

Older RTEMS releases' mingw32 toolchain's future currently is unclear.

Anything is possible. In an ideal world, they would receive future
updates having been built by Fedora 17's i686-w64-mingw32 (32bit)
toolchains without mingw32 users noticing. The world case would be us
having to abandon and discontinue mingw32-toolchains for RTEMS < 4.11.

Ralf

[1] Based on the experiences gained from adding the mingw64-rtems4.11
toolchains I'd expect this will hardly be possible.