GCC Version Questions

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Sun Apr 29 09:56:45 UTC 2012

Ralf, Chris,

Am 29.04.2012 06:41, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:

>> I also think the removal of the rtems4.11/arm directory is childish.
> I was following Sebastian's and Thomas's wish, they had repeatedly been
> nagging me with for ca. a years.
>
> This time, I gave in resistance and followed.
>
>> You
>> were clearly asked to change rtems4.11/arm to EABI, not to remove it.
>
> Chris, I have no idea what I shall answer to this.
>
> Let me reiterate:
>
> Upstream GCC has abandoned all targets which do not match 'arm-*-*eabi*'
> and wants all target to use a target tuple matching the wildcard pattern
> 'arm-*-*eabi*'.
>
> I.e. RTEMS is not permitted to use "arm-rtems" for RTEMS "arm-eabi",
> because this contradicts upstream's intention. Apparently, they want a
> clear separation and break between arm-elf and arm-eabi.

I see no problem with the different name. If Ralf thinks that upstream
GCC suggests an explicit naming scheme I dont see harm here. Maybe it
even has the benefit that the RTEMS ARM users really see that the
toolset flavour has changed.

Chris: do you have explicit reasons for your wish to stay with the
rtems4.11/arm/ path?

wkr,

Thomas.