GCC Version Questions

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Apr 27 14:00:46 UTC 2012

I would rather use GCC 4.6.X for the RTEMS 4.11 release on ARM since I had a
lot of trouble with earlier version of GCC 4.6.  I worked with GCC 4.6 during
the whole 4.11 development cycle and I am really at unease to use an untested
GCC 4.7 for this release.

Most ARM BSPs use ARMv4T and ARMv5T.  The focus at GCC is currently at more
recent architecture versions like ARMv7.  My impression is that the older
versions receive little testing and attention by the GCC developers.  So
progress breaks older versions sometimes.

In general we should consider to select a certain GCC version for an upcoming
RTEMS release and stick with this GCC version for this RTEMS release.  Thus we
continuously work with a particular GCC release during development and can
address all compiler issues in this phase.

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de