GCI Task review: breaking up long lines

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Dec 5 03:52:14 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 01:05 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Hello,
> We're planning to have GCI students attempt to break up lines longer
> than 80 characters. I have created a description of the task at [1],
> please check that the directions are clear and that the way to handle
> long lines is stated well.
>
> If anyone has objections to this as a task please say so, or forever
> hold your peace.

Yes, I don't see much sense in such undertaking, but stylishness.

It made sense 30 years ago, when people were programming on punch cards
and it made sense 20 years ago, when people were programming on vt100s,
but times have changed ...

When not carefully done, limiting line lengths to 80 chars is reducing
code readability and maintainability, and is likely to break code.

Ralf