Commit messages

Tue Feb 21 15:53:23 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 09:38 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> My intention was to give the Git commit messages a standard format.  This topic
> is not about ChangeLog files.

The git log messages ....

+ need to contain at least as much information as the cvs
ChangeLog messages did.  A one word message is not enough.
+ Summary line should begin with "PR nnnn -" if applicable so
when folks browse they do not have to dig to know.
+ Author tag should be used. Others may be appropriate.
+ Detail after summary is important. Format is TBD.
+ PRs must be included in a well-defined format so gitzilla
can recognize them.

But.. we haven't cleaned up from CVS yet.  We are in limbo
right now on ChangeLog's and $Id$'s and we need to settle that.

+ Do we remove $Id$'s?

+ We haven't decided what to do about the ChangeLog files yet. :)
    - Do they continue to be maintained or not?
    - If not, then they need to be renamed. It is confusing to users.
    - If we don't manually maintain them but want to keep them, then an
      automated update needs to occur on every commit. Given the ChangeLog's
      are scattered through the tree, if we do this, the script will
have to update
      the appropriate ChangeLogs.

We have a three issues before us. We need to make decisions about what
to bring forward, clean up the remnants, add scripts if needed, and decide
on git message formats and content.

All of that is important.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985