Commit messages

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Tue Feb 21 16:35:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

just to throw in my two (euro)cents:

Am 21.02.2012 16:53, schrieb Joel Sherrill:

> But.. we haven't cleaned up from CVS yet.  We are in limbo
> right now on ChangeLog's and $Id$'s and we need to settle that.
>
> + Do we remove $Id$'s?
>
> + We haven't decided what to do about the ChangeLog files yet. :)
>    - Do they continue to be maintained or not?

I would vote YES, but possibly in a different format, if this is
suitable for the VCS in use. Having a detailed history of changes is
useful in many maintenance cases and we should provide that information
even for those users working with tarballs instead of direkt GIT access.

>    - If not, then they need to be renamed. It is confusing to users.

Archiving the CVS-based Changelogs in place with a suitable name (like
"Changelog.pre2012") makes sense IMHO.

>    - If we don't manually maintain them but want to keep them, then an
>      automated update needs to occur on every commit. Given the ChangeLog's
>      are scattered through the tree, if we do this, the script will have
> to update
>      the appropriate ChangeLogs.

The current location of ChangeLog files seems quite artifical to me.
Ralf's explanation, that they are at the same nodes as the configure.ac
seems artifical to me either. So, when we rework the Changelogs, we
might also discuss the proper nodes that are equipped with them.

For me, the important nodes would be (incomplete list):
- rtems/
- rtems/c/src/lib/libbsp/
- rtems/c/src/lib/libbsp/<arch>/<bsp>/
- rtems/c/src/lib/libcpu/<arch>
- rtems/c/src/libchip/
- rtems/cpukit/
- rtems/tests/

wkr,
Thomas.

> We have a three issues before us. We need to make decisions about what
> to bring forward, clean up the remnants, add scripts if needed, and decide
> on git message formats and content.
>
> All of that is important.

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9