Please avoid merge commits

Thu Feb 23 17:52:58 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 11:40 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please rebase your work to the current branch head and avoid merge commits like
> this:
>
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=8f7f6caaef26f9067aeb2feaa85a2d50c0853ba8

This is my fault. I passed along a command sequence to Jennifer.
> This makes browsing the history quite painful.

Agreed.
> git rebase --help

The command sequence which is doing this is from
the wiki http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/RTEMS_GIT_Repository
Section 5.2.3 Update from upstream master (RTEMS head)

# git fetch upstream
# git merge upstream/master

Should the merge command be dropped? Or is the proper
sequence this?

# git fetch upstream
# git rebase upstream/master

Advice appreciated.  We need to make sure that the instructions
are right and that I am properly retrained. :)

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985