A standard for commit messages

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Feb 23 08:15:47 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 07:16 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Joel suggested that the commit message be something that starts with a
> simple phrase that reads like a title/headline for the commit. After
> that phrase should come additional details. The first words are what
> gets propagated to the vc list subject line, so we should make those
> words count.

We may consider to add a list of topic keywords to the wiki, like:

IMFS
Score
RTEMS
SAPI
Bdbuf
ARM
PPC
i386
Sparc
LPC24XX

etc.  We can then use in the summary line

<keyword>: Bla blub

This should work well for most changes.  Not everything will fit into this of
course.

> If there is a bugzilla report associated with the commit then the
> message should start with "PR #### - "; in many cases the title of the
> bug report or something similar would work fine to begin the commit
> message after the PR number.

I would simply use "PR####: Bla blub" to make it more compact.  In particular I
would omit the "PR####/subsystem" since the only immutable datum of a PR is the
number.

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de