git summary messages

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Feb 24 03:30:18 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 03:32 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 01:49 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> Well, you view. IMO, depending on a VCS's internal implementation
>>> details is
>>> absulte rubbish.
>> Why use a VCS at all?
>>
> Ralf.. you are trolling.
Very rude of yours!

> You are not stupid and you know exactly what you are doing and
> why putting the date/name line from a ChangeLog format entry
> as the git summary is wrong. You maintained the build system
> in your own git repository since 2006 according to the history here:

Wrong, it was a private CVS repository from ca. 2006, had been converted
to git sometime in late 2010 and was a private git since then.
Last week, I added it to the public RTEMS git repos.

> http://git.rtems.org/rtems-buildsys/log/?ofs=1050
>
> You managed to have summary lines there for 6 years there.
The difference is: This is a personal repository of a very small
project, hardly anybody but me has any use for.

Therefore, I resorted to be _sloppy_ and not to write proper
_ChangeLogs_. I.e. ChangeLogs have never been a topic and even less
"summaries", because they never had existed!

As a consequence of this, you will have a hard time figuring out what
happens inside.

If it was a bigger project of public interests, it would contain
ChangeLogs ... I also have some of these!

> I believe you did this to make a public point.
>
> Don't bother replying. It is Lent -- use these 40 days to learn
> to become a team player.
Well, it's sad you don't seethe regressions in RTEMS maintainability and
RTEMS work flow, your obviously blind addiction to git is introducing.

Think about why bigger project, such as GCC and Fedora do not share your
view on ChangeLogs.

Ralf