Eliminate $Id:$

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Jan 17 05:50:36 UTC 2012

On 17/01/12 3:12 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 04:27 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> I have some work from the flight to purge cvs refrences in files but
>> nothing for Id strings. One bsp prints like $Name or something.
>

>> All cvsignore files need to be renamed gitignore.
>
> Again, no - This only works in trivial cases, but is wrong in general.
>
> cvsignores and gitignores use a different syntax and are incompatible.
>
> That said, a single toplevel .gitignore can replace a whole CVS source
> tree's .cvsignore hierarchy.
>
> In other words, you will want to
> find .cvsignore | xargs git rm
> and write a toplevel .gitignore

Agreed a single top level should be ok for most things. I was in the
process of seeing what non-repeating contents we have. I attach the results.

My approach was to add a single top .gitignore for those common items
and then add the ones specific to each lower level lowering the number
of ignore files we have.

I was going to remove the .cvsignore's a little later once things have
settled down. They should be ignored by git.