Eliminate $Id:$

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Jan 18 05:06:18 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 06:50 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 17/01/12 3:12 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 01/17/2012 04:27 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> I have some work from the flight to purge cvs refrences in files but
>>> nothing for Id strings. One bsp prints like $Name or something.
>>

>>> All cvsignore files need to be renamed gitignore.
>>
>> Again, no - This only works in trivial cases, but is wrong in general.
>>
>> cvsignores and gitignores use a different syntax and are incompatible.
>>
>> That said, a single toplevel .gitignore can replace a whole CVS source
>> tree's .cvsignore hierarchy.
>>
>> In other words, you will want to
>> find .cvsignore | xargs git rm
>> and write a toplevel .gitignore
>>

> Agreed a single top level should be ok for most things. I was in the
> process of seeing what non-repeating contents we have. I attach the
> results.
>
> My approach was to add a single top .gitignore for those common items
> and then add the ones specific to each lower level lowering the number
> of ignore files we have.

This is what I am using in my local git of the former CVS/rtems repository

# cat .gitignore
autom4te.cache
config.status
config.log
configure
Makefile

In my work-branch (the branch I actually work with), I am using this:
# cat .gitignore
autom4te.cache
config.status
config.log

I.e. I am keeping autotool generated files in git. Though git, like CVS,
also doesn't preserve timestamps, this helps tracking autotool generated
files and helps identifying accidental changes and user mistakes (e.g.
using incorrect autotool versions).

> I was going to remove the .cvsignore's a little later once things have
> settled down. They should be ignored by git.
IMO, .cvsignores should not be ignored but kept in git until they are
finally removed. When .gitignoring them, they would cause removed
directories to stay around when switching branches.

Ralf