Commit messages

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Jan 24 09:17:50 UTC 2012

On 01/23/2012 11:08 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 02:31 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think we should write down (or copy from somewhere else) some standard for
>> the commit messages. How to format it and what to put in it. Maybe also some
>> standard phrases.
>>
> I was hoping someone else would post first but here is what I
> personally would like to see.
>
> I think ChangeLog's need to continue to exist. They are part
> of the GNU Coding Standard and useful to those getting releases.

I guess the GNU Coding Standard needs an update.

> My first thought was to treat the git commit long as a nice title
> for the change and put more details in a ChangeLog entry. That
> fits nicely with browsing the history and getting useful info in
> a short space.
>
> According to multiple sites on the net, they CAN be generated
> automatically from git but I don't know if this would be the right
> thing to do. Would this be useful to be done behind the scenes
> as part of commiting? I don't know.

I am strongly opposed to maintain the ChangeLog files manually.  This is a
complete waste of time.  Git has by far superior capabilities to dig into the
history.

> I do not want to see us drop having history embedded in the
> source tree via a ChangeLog.

You can generate them automatically if you want, but I don't see a use case for
them.

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de