HEADSUP: Adding auto*generated files to rtems-4.11's git

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Thu Jul 26 15:13:14 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 15:34:46 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 02:42 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> > On 07/25/2012 02:32 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As mentioned several times before, I'll soon gradually add some more
> >> auto*tools
> >> generated source files (Makefile.in, configure, aclocal.m4) to the
> >> rtems-4.11
> >> source tree in git.
> >
> > What is the benefit?
>
> No bootstrapping required, no autotools required for "occasional users",
> certain classes of bugs and users-mistakes will become more visible,
> because files are pregenerated.

I would like express my humble vote against generated files in git.
On the other hand they are fully appropriate and wanted in snapshots
and releases. If the auto-tools invocation is integrated into
snapshot automation tools than it is enough. Usual occasional
user should use release or in the worst case snapshot.

Generated files in GIT usually cause more problems than they solve
in long term. But I agree that they can make life easier
for newcomers sometimes as well. In RTEMS case, how big
are problems with use of pre-installed auto-tool on different
distributions. I did not have much problems till now.

Best wishes,

             Pavel