GSoC 2012

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Sat Mar 17 04:11:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Kevin Polulak <kpolulak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> My name is Kevin. I'm an undergraduate student and am very interested in
> working with RTEMS this summer for Google Summer of Code 2012. This will be
> my second GSoC. I love working with embedded systems programming and
> operating systems. I've been looking through the wiki, RTEMS University,
> Doxygen API documentation, etc. and RTEMS seems like a great project.
>
> I am particularly interested in the ConfigKit and DBKit projects. Would
> these projects require porting either libconfuse or cdb or would I be
> packaging them like an RTEMS-equivalent .rpm or .deb? Is there someone in
> particular I could talk to in order to find out a little more about these
> projects?

Hi Kevin,

The general idea of most of these kits is to provide a way to
compile/link external projects into an RTEMS application, most likely
as a library. Currently RTEMS does not have dynamic loading (that
should change eventually) so the libraries should be statically linked
and have permissive licensing (pure GPL is not good for static
linkage).

As far as the technical solution goes, we are open to suggestions
about the best route for providing these packages for RTEMS users to
be able to incorporate in their own projects.  The notion of RTEMS
kits is relatively new and requires some work to develop a decent plan
to make sure the final solution is usable and maintainable. So
evaluating multiple solutions to find a good one would be part of both
proposing and implementing a kit project.

Any "kit" project would include at a minimum: getting external
projects working with RTEMS, creating tests/demos of the kit,
developing a plan for maintaining the kit, and documenting procedures
for other kit integrators to follow.

> What is the best way to stay in contact with the other developers? I've been
> idling on IRC for the past few days and it doesn't seem like it's used very
> much.

IRC activity rises and falls depending on dev schedules, but it is the
best way to get interactive answers--if you can catch someone's ear.
This year we might also try to schedule IRC meetups, which would be a
new thing for GSOC. The mailing lists are the most reliable ways to
get answers although it may take some time to get a response
especially if a particular person is the best one to answer.

> I'm really excited about becoming a potential member of the RTEMS community.
> I look forward to brainstorming with some of you. :)

Fantastic!
-Gedare