GSoC question

Sat Mar 31 14:04:46 UTC 2012

On 03/31/2012 08:16 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Alexandru-Sever Horin
> <alex.sever.h at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know that I am posting a bit late to this mailing list,
>> but I believe that I can complete the application in a week.
>>
> It is but a week is sufficient time if you are dedicated. :)
+1

>> I am interested in working on either adding NICs
>>                                    or defining RTEMS pointing device driver
>> interface
>>

>> Can you please send me detailed information on what is needed more,
>> and what should I base my proposal on ?
>>
> There is a proposal template that should be used. It is linked from
> the student proposals table on the rtems wiki summer of code page [1].
> Your proposal should demonstrate that you have a good grasp on what
> you plan to implement, that what you propose is important (most things
> are but to varying degrees), and provide a good project plan /
> outline. We want students to write their proposal as a Google doc that
> is shared with mentors / linked (privately) from the wiki page, and
> you can copy-paste the proposal contents from the Google doc into the
> official proposal page on the official GSOC Melange.
Get as much into Melange and put a link to your Google doc
as a starting point. That way if things go wrong, you still have
a valid proposal.
> We also expect our students to be active in the community, so you
> should at least join the rtems-users list if you have not already, and
> find your way over to #rtems on freenode IRC. IRC is a great way (when
> someone is around) to get realtime interactive feedback.
>
> When proposing your own project (e.g. pointing device driver) you will
> need to be extra convincing to get a mentor to take you on. One issue
> I could see with a pointing device driver is the (in)ability to test
> the code that you submit.
The only interface we have for pointing devices is in support
of Microwindows/Nano-X. The Nano-X port is incomplete and
improvements in the entire infrastructure is needed. At this point,
that's the only way I know to support these and have a meaningful
solution that folks can use.

> As for adding NICs, there is active development work going on with the
> libbsd project that you might be able to participate in [2]. There was
> another student who also expressed interest in that work [3], and I
> believe there is plenty of work there to go around but I'm not
> directly involved so I cannot say for certain. You would have to talk
> to Joel and may wish to coordinate your efforts with Kevin.
Adding more NICs for the current stack would not be desirable.
Assisting in the rtems-libbsd porting effort is beneficial. There
is plenty of work to go around there.

If you and Kevin both proposed it, it would not be difficult to
divide the effort. Between the high number of targets, BSPs,
and NICs to try to replace or update, there is a lot to address.
Way too much for one student project.