[GSoC] Implement a cross-platform Application Configuration GUI.

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Mar 19 01:16:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Ghitulete Razvan
<razvan.ghitulete at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>      I would like to apply for the above mentioned project. I saw mentioned
> on the wiki, that as part of the prerequisite list for the application, is
> having installed a RTEMS development environment, preferably on a Fedora /
> CentOS, and write a hello world in it. So hence, I am in some sort of a
> deadline storm I was wondering whether there is a deadline for achieving
> that task?
Same deadline as the project proposals are due by.

>      And now, more about the topic on hand, the idea about writing a GUI
> using python and xml for storing seems rather appealing. Though I'm not sure
> I follow why would it be necessary using an initial XML file. Is it supposed
> to be a "restore session", or a configuration file for the GUI. Also should
> the xml_to_userconf.h translator be a python script as well? I was thinking
> more about a C-written module as future patches would be easier to write.

See [1] for a little I wrote about this already. The idea of this
project is to create a tool to help users in writing/maintaining their
application configuration file(s)---this is not a project to write a
GUI for RTEMS, although that project also exists. For an example of a
simple configuration file see testsuites/samples/ticker/system.h in
the source tree. It would not be necessary to start with an initial
configuration file, but the tool should be capable of converting
between the configuration file format (XML) and the header file (.h)
that the application will end up compiling with. The GUI would help
users to map logical concepts (such as numbers of tasks) to the less
readable configuration macros. The python code could also help to
error-check the configuration chosen. An advantage of using python is
that it should not be too difficult to also provide a CLI for
generating a configuration file.

[1] http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2012/march/msg00130.html

-Gedare