Continuous Integration - rtbf64c

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri May 4 08:51:43 UTC 2012

On 05/04/2012 09:35 AM, Julien Delange wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Ralf Corsepius<ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>  wrote:
>> Fedora supplies the tools I am using to build the toolchains. All other OSes
>> are either too outdated, or do not supply the tools.
>
> No matter the distribution :
Packaging (== supplying binaries, which properly integrate into a
distribution) is distribution specific.

> you can always build the tools by
> yourself, no ?
Sure you can, but ... the issues are in the details.

That said, I am aware about many build-scripts, which all are more or
less broken or at least unsafe. Hardly any of them provides properly
packaged packages.

> It would also ensure that your toolchain works
> perfectly from scratch and with vanilla-version of the tools (not the
> packaged ones).
Vanilla GNU-toolchains do almost do not build anywhere - You can not
avoid to patch them.

> We have a similar process here with a nightly build that rebuilds
> RTEMS toolchain on a nightly basis and automatically compiles
> different projects. If this is tough to set up, it is very useful at
> the end !
The process I am using, is strictly modelled after the process Red Hat
and Fedora use. It involves much more than simple "building" does.

Ralf