RTEMS in Pok analysis questions

Julien Delange julien.delange at gmail.com
Sun May 27 18:12:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM, WL <jolkaczad at gmail.com> wrote:
> After doing initial research around how to design the layer a number
> of questions appeared.

Which layer are you exactly talking about ? Tha layer in RTEMS to be
executed as a guest OS ? Can you be more specific ?

> The bsp and device driver development guide describes a number of
> services which may be implemented while creating a new BSP: the
> console driver, clock, timer, RTC (as far as I know, libpok doesn't
> provide an interface for calculating real time, just ticks) , non
> volatile memory, shared memory and other peripheral drivers. The
> console driver is required for the simplest test so that's minimal,
> but which others should be considered for this project?

Also, please be more specific : are you talking about the BSP and
device driver development from RTEMS or POK ?
So, I think you should consider another way : what is the basic
example and what do you need. Please consider a basic example and
asses what services are required to run this example. For example,
consider a simple system that executes two RTEMS instances on top of
POK hypervisor (the POK kernel, not the libpok part).

> I don't know how to channel interrupts in Pok, especially on x86 since
> it uses a programmable interrupt controller, the included ethernet
> driver uses polling and the doumentation doesn't help that much.
> Perhaps this is a question for the Pok mailing list though and
> modifications are required.

I do not think we should consider these issues now. The better is to
start with a basic example, make a prototype and go ahead. So, I
suggest you make such an example and then, we can discuss further
improvements/features.