RFC: ARM GCC changes

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Sep 25 10:31:30 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 12:04 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/25/2012 10:54 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> This is an updated patch for the GCC 4.8.  It renames the target
>> "arm-rtemseabi" to "arm-rtems" to bring the ARM tool chain back to the
>> standard RTEMS target pattern "$ARCH-rtems".
>
> As I tried to tell you several times before, I consider this step
>
> a) to be silly, because it raises abiguities to the "arm-rtems*" target tuple
> and breaks the clear distingtion between "arm-rtems" and "arm-rtemseabi*" we
> currently have.

We have only one ARM tool chain configuration in the current RTEMS development
version and this is arm-rtemseabi.  The ARM tool chain is the only exception to
the $ARCH-rtems pattern.  This is confusing and leads to special cases in
general support scripts.  There is absolutely no reason to have two ARM tool
chain configuration for new versions of RTEMS.

In fact it would be very difficult to restore the obsolete ARM ELF variant in
GCC 4.8 since the FPA support has been removed.  Ralf, do you remember the
discussions about FPA vs. VFP three years ago?

> b) contradicts upstream GCC conventions to name all arm-*eabi targets '*eabi".

This statement is false, just look at the patch.

Even if it were true, it would be better to follow the $ARCH-rtems pattern.

>> GCC test suite results for arm-rtems4.11:
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2012-09/msg02507.html
>>
>> If nobody objects, then I will post this patch to the GCC patches
>> mailing list next week.
>
> Formal objection - I feel you are shooting yourselfs into your own foot and
> consider this proposal to be harmful.

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de