[GSOC] Query regarding wrapping PIC support to Simple Vectored Architectures

Vipul Nayyar nayyar_vipul at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 25 17:09:05 UTC 2013

Hello,

As per my proposal, one of the task is to generalize the PIC interrupt support in sparc to support any other simple vectored architecture. I think I get the hang of how SPARC wraps the shared PIC IRQ code on top of the Simple IRQ Model. I had some questions & thoughts, that need your guidance.

1)  I think there is no need of bsp specific bsp_dispatch_irq() in sparc & can be replaced with the inline bsp_interrupt_handler_dispatch(), which is written in irq-generic.h

2) From what I saw, the set_vector() is mainly used to install a vector & rtems_interrupt_catch() once in the interrupt initialization function. For ex: I'll be working on m68k bsp now. So from what I saw, most of the files use rtems_interrupt_catch() to install an ISR. Following the trend in sparc, I should change rtems_interrupt_catch() in all files to set_vector() right ?

Any other crucial points that I should keep in mind ?

Regards

Vipul Nayyar