[PROJECTS] RTEMS project on ARM or kernel related.

Ritesh Harjani ritesh.harjani at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 03:59:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Thanks to all for your promising replies. As Joel mentioned
"But we need help reviewing it, getting it ready to merge, shaking all SMP
out." I am willing to start from this point.
Please provide any links to this or Document to start off with.
git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git I will clone this git repo. hope this is the
right place I am looking to?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Ritesh Harjani
> <ritesh.harjani at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been working on ARM Multicore architecture from around 6-7
> > months(still a newbie) and will be willing to contribute for ARM SMP
> support
> > on RTEMS.
> > Here is what I need help in:
> >
> > 1. I have raspberry pi + TI launchpad LM4F120 launchpad which uses ARM
> > cortex M4 based architecture.
> > here is the config for raspberry pi:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
> > Can this SoC be useful for porting RTEMS onto that?
> >
> This is a good board, and Alan pointed out he has some basic support.
> This board would not support SMP though.
>
> > 2. Anyway the main question here is,
> > I have time, interest  & resources. What I need is some support +
> guidance
> > from you guys to start off this project.
> > Can anyone of you please guide me as how should I start off this in more
> > detail (but be focused on the topic: SMP support for ARM). Also any link
> > rtems IRC server (I tried #rtems, but not much of help I got)
> >
> There was a GSOC project by Xi Yang last year that did an initial SMP
> support for ARM. That code should be merged soon we hope. From there,
> lots of projects are possible w.r.t. SMP. it depends what level you
> want to work in: add support for more ARM CPUs to use SMP, improve SMP
> capabiltiies like Atomic operations for ARM or implement an SMP
> scheduler, and so on. The first thing to try to do I suppose is to
> attempt to replicate Xi's work if possible.

@ Gedare, this too is right place to start off with. I will try to
replicate the Xi's work.
@Xi Yang, can you help me out with getting the basic things in place.
Or any link/document to try this out?

> The IRC channel is on the freenode irc server, then go to #rtems channel.
>
> > 3. If the 2nd option is not the requirement of the community, is there
> any
> > work on Memory management or anything to kernel related?
> > I will be happy to take some project and start contributing.
> >
> I'm working to get a memory management framework in place. It is
> rudimentary, but last year's GSOC we had a student who got the initial
> framework to work on the PSIM simulator for PowerPC and Skyeye
> simulator with Gumstix BSP. There will be plenty to do with this
> framework, including to add more BSPs, generalize shared support for
> CPUs, and work on improving the internal memory management interfaces.
>
> -Gedare
>

> > Thanks and Regards
> > Ritesh

Thanks and Regards