[GSOC] Help regarding deleting unused functions

Vipul Nayyar nayyar_vipul at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 08:01:06 UTC 2013

Hello,

While doing my current task of removing legacy code, after compilation, I receive warnings for a certain function, that is defined but not used. As suggested by Sebastian, I delete it, after checking whether it's really been not called anywhere in the current file, and outside it. Most of the functions that I'm talking about right now are static, or supposed to be static.

After re-compilation, warning for that deleted function is obviously gone, but there are new warnings of functions defined but not used. So, ultimately I have to delete these static functions who are inter-related(calling each other), in order to remove the warnings. Currently I was trying my hand on i386 pc386 BSP, where I encountered this thing.

I really don't know whether deleting these multiple inter-related static functions is the right way to go or a horribly wrong one.

Hoping to hear soon.

Regards
Vipul Nayyar