Tool chain for RTEMS 4.11

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Jul 16 22:03:23 UTC 2013

Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Sebastian, are you proposing to submit the tool patches to the
> rtems-devel list, or are you expecting/hoping that someone else will?

The rtems-tools.git repo is the official location of patches for the
tools. It is independent of packaging and packagers and how these
patches are integrated in a specific packaging system is the
responsibility of the packager.

All tool patches should be placed in the rtems-tools.git repo. Patches
need to be specific and relate to a single issue. No jumbo patches.
Architecture specific patches should be placed in an arch specific
directory.

As far as I know all outstanding patches are in this repo. Newlib
patches are all in newlib's CVS repo. A formal tools release for 4.11
requires we snapshot the newlib CVS repo at a specific point then move
to patches in rtems-tools.git for critical updates.

> Cindy (and others): A feature freeze is fine to talk about, but I
> don't think we need an actual freeze. We can just cut a 4.11 branch
> and treat it as a (pre)release branch with release branch rules---bug
> fixes only. Then the git master branch can continue development under
> the next version cycle.

I am not so sure. We will never reach a point where a branch can be made
unless as avoid commits that are not needed or not stable. If a commit
enters the repo as a new feature, partially implemented or tested just
before the branch then we could release something is not in a suitable
state.