Tool chain for RTEMS 4.11

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jul 17 07:31:56 UTC 2013

On 17.07.2013 06:27, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/16/2013 10:44 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> If there is anything in this patch worth using, the author
>> of the patch should speak up. Otherwise, I personally
>> am writing if off as a cvs diff on an arbitrary date and
>> ignoring it.
> Joel - Why can't you resist from being rude? I think you believe to be polite
> with what you wrote above, but it's not how I perceive it.
>
> What you are missing: Unlike newlib-CVS which has undergone a lot of mostly
> untested aggressive and questionable changes with mostly untested outcome, this
> patch works.

I fully agree with Joel.  I switched to the Newlib HEAD end of last year since
your fork of Newlib is not a long term solution.

I fixed the fseek() vs. fseeko() problem which is the reason why we have a
2.0.0 Newlib and not a 1.21.0.  This problem is not fixed in your Newlib fork.

I introduced _STDIO_WITH_THREAD_CANCELLATION_SUPPORT to address a problem known
to you.  Instead of notifying the RTEMS community you silently fixed it in your
way.

http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2012-November/002103.html

Joel and I updated the <sys/cdefs.h> required for the network stack update.

I significantly reduced the struct _reent size with the _REENT_GLOBAL_ATEXIT
option.

I improved and tested the __DYNAMIC_REENT__ option which is mandatory for SMP
and a performance improvement for non-SMP.

You apparently removed some ARM specific functions so problems didn't show up
early, e.g.

http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2013/msg00396.html

Its not clear why you removed these ARM specific functions in your fork.

All in all its time for you to submit your changes for review (like I did).
There is absolutely no reason to not follow the Newlib development closely.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de