bootstrap is slow and issues many warnings

R. Diez rdiezmail-rtems at yahoo.de
Wed Jul 24 08:12:40 UTC 2013

Hi all:

I am new to RTEMS. I am building the git head version on Ubuntu 12.04. I have written my own script to download, build and install prerequisites autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.14.

When I run the 'bootstrap' script, it takes a long time and I get loads of warnings:

./testsuites/sptests
sp27a/Makefile.am:3: warning: source file '../sp27/init.c' is in a subdirectory,
sp27a/Makefile.am:3: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled
automake: warning: possible forward-incompatibility.
automake: At least a source file is in a subdirectory, but the 'subdir-objects'
automake: automake option hasn't been enabled.  For now, the corresponding output
automake: object file(s) will be placed in the top-level directory.  However,
automake: this behaviour will change in future Automake versions: they will
automake: unconditionally cause object files to be placed in the same subdirectory
automake: of the corresponding sources.
automake: You are advised to start using 'subdir-objects' option throughout your
automake: project, to avoid future incompatibilities.
sp53/Makefile.am:3: warning: source file '../sp52/init.c' is in a subdirectory,
sp53/Makefile.am:3: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled
sp66/Makefile.am:3: warning: source file '../sp65/init.c' is in a subdirectory,
ada_user/Makefile.am: warning: Oops!
ada_user/Makefile.am:     It appears this file (or files included by it) are triggering
ada_user/Makefile.am:     an undocumented, soon-to-be-removed automake hack.
ada_user/Makefile.am:     Future automake versions will no longer place in the builddir
ada_user/Makefile.am:     (rather than in the srcdir) the generated '.info' files that
ada_user/Makefile.am:     appear to be cleaned, by e.g. being listed in CLEANFILES or
ada_user/Makefile.am:     DISTCLEANFILES.
ada_user/Makefile.am:     If you want your '.info' files to be placed in the builddir
ada_user/Makefile.am:     rather than in the srcdir, you have to use the shiny new
ada_user/Makefile.am:     'info-in-builddir' automake option.

Those warnings are repeated many times during the bootstrap phase.

In the end, the 'bootstrap' script finishes without errors and RTEMS builds fine.

Is there any way to get rid of those warnings? Is there a reason why the bootstrap phase takes so long?

Unfortunately, my autotools knowledge is rather limited. I could try the latest released version of RTEMS, but I think support for ARM Cortex-M3 processors was not there yet, was it?

Thanks,
  rdiez