bootstrap is slow and issues many warnings

R. Diez rdiezmail-rtems at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 25 09:00:18 UTC 2013

>>  The process remains rather slow in any case. Is there any way to speed it up?

> Normally it is just something done once or after an update. There is a
> tool called sb-bootstrap in the RSB [1] that runs the reconfigures in
> parallel on as many cores as you have.
> [...]
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/source-builder?id=6d32fe7eb0388698ab07726229e769cd9bb30134

I took a quick look at the script here:

  https://github.com/RTEMS/rtems-source-builder/blob/master/source-builder/sb/bootstrap.py

Unfortunately, I haven't learnt Python yet. However, it looks like it's calling 'autoreconf', so it does not use the bundled 'bootstrap' script. Is that right? Should a tool that tests all build configurations not rely on the standard scripts that every user should run?

By the way, how does it run faster than 'bootstrap', which also seems to call 'autoreconf'? Or do you mean all different configurations are built in parallel? I was looking at speeding up just the configuration I am using at the moment. If that method is faster, maybe it could replace the standard 'bootstrap' script.

Thanks,
  rdiez