[VirtLayer] Midterm patches and blog update

Philipp Eppelt philipp.eppelt at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jul 31 20:15:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

I wrote a post about the changes to the i386 architecture to accommodate
virtual and native environments.

http://phipse.github.io/rtems/blog/2013/07/30/midterm-explanation/

I will send patches for cpukit/score/cpu/i386, c/src/lib/libcpu/i386 and
c/src/lib/libbsp/i386.

The first removes functions from score that use virtualization sensitive
instructions like hlt, clt, sti.
The second creates two new CPU models for i386: native and virtual,
providing the functions removed from score.
The third creates a new BSP called virtPok for the i386 architecture.

The first two need a lot of review, I don't want to break things.

You can test the patches either by applying them to git head or by
cloning the virt-pok branch of my fork on github:
https://github.com/phipse/rtems/tree/virt-bsp

Build instructions for the virtualization hello world can be found in
the blog:
http://phipse.github.io/rtems/blog/2013/07/08/HelloWorld/

The build process for native i386 apps didn't change.

I will send the patches as replies to this mail, please review them.
I would be very happy to see them upstream.

Cheers,
Philipp