Delete ChangeLog files Was :Re: ChangeLog change to .ChangeLog

Rempel, Cynthia cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Sun Mar 10 02:25:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

It really sounds to me like Dr. Sherrill doesn't want ChangeLogs to be a barrier to committing to RTEMS...

I'm not a lawyer either, but Dr. Sherrill made it clear RTEMS stand on ChangeLogs... RTEMS does belong to OAR, so what OAR wants is what RTEMS should get legally... incidentally, Dr. Sherrill did indicate that quite a few developers agreed with him.

For my own edification I took a quick look at: http://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2012/ManagingCopyrightInformation.html

It seemed to indicate that version control was an invaluable legal asset for identifying changes, as well as how commits should be done to meet legal requirements. I'm not advocating either way, but It did mention that ChangeLogs were handy for indexing "significant" commits "should an audit ever be necessary".

I know that some of the students during Google Code-In seemed very interested in licensing/legality, it might be possible to tag which "significant" commits were made, and have the students add to the ChangeLog as a task (or small open project?)... that way developers don't have as many hurdles to jump though and we have a only moderately outdated ChangeLog for indexing purposes.

If this is acceptable/interesting to OAR/RTEMS development community, someone who feels strongly about keeping ChangeLogs could write up the Google Code-In task (or small open project?).

Hope this helps,
Cynthia Rempel