Autoconf 2.69 and mingw

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sat Mar 23 01:31:35 UTC 2013

Rempel, Cynthia wrote:

> Using Cygwin sounds like a great idea! A quick look at
> http://cygwin.com/packages/
>
> Indicated some pretty recentish versions of the Autotools (2.69, 1.12.5)... and the link below looks like a tutorial on packaging for Cygwin
> http://cygwin.com/setup.html

Yes it does. I suspect I would still let the source builder build a
version. The RTEMS project is currently following the most recent
versions of these tools so it may move again.

> If it's feasible, for good 'product placement' we may eventually want to the packages in
> http://cygwin.com/packages/

I am making native Windows tools and not Cygwin executables. Cygwin is
just the shell type environment to build the tools in.

In terms of RTEMS it is also the shell environment to run configure and
then make. If RTEMS did not use autoconf and automake the need for
Cygwin or MSYS with RTEMS would not exist.

> Although, we'll have to update the wiki to reflect the move from minGW to Cygwin... http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/MinGW_Tools_for_Windows

Let me get it working first so we know how it works.