local symbols problem for RTL

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri May 31 01:43:41 UTC 2013

Peng Fan wrote:
> 2013/5/31 Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>>
>     I am still wondering if we need locals in the RAP file. Could some
>     form of incremental linking pass in rtems-ld remove them ?
>
> I am not sure whether using specific gcc options can remove this or not.

The options used by gcc should not effect what happens. We need to
handle there being local symbols.

> I think if use specific options to remove them, there should be a lot
> work to be done to resolve the symbol table, strtab and reloc part of
> the linker.

I am not sure how much work there is to remove them. I am currently just
wondering why they exist and if it is possible to remove them.

> I want to use my current implementation to implement the
> other archs for loader just following the schedule in my proposal
> ,because the rtl-mdreloc-(arch).c is relatively independent to the
> symbols part. Any advice?

Yeap the arch specific code is not related to this issue and working on
it as planned is a good idea.

> The c code in file 3.c :

Thanks. I will take a closer at soon.