GCC Buildbot

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Nov 27 11:10:10 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 09:08 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> The --enable-threads GCC configure option can be controlled via
> "gcc/config.gcc":
>
> *-*-rtems*)
>    case ${enable_threads} in
>      yes) thread_file='rtems' ;;
>    esac
>
> Does it make sense to build RTEMS without the RTEMS thread model
> enabled?
IMO, it doesn't nor do I think it makes sense to build RTEMS with
--disable-posix.

However, in the past, there had been strong resistance to make threading
the default or mandatory. because of the overhead it causes in RTEMS.

> The RSB and the RPM build infrastructure always uses the
> "--enable-threads" option.
I believe, hardly anybody has used a thread-disabled rtems-GCC for many
years nor have such thread-disabled GCCs seen much testing with RTEMS
and in GCC in general.

> Why don't we make this to the default?
You'd have to ask those who have been fighting this. I am all for it.

Ralf