C++ static constructors and SMP

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Oct 24 13:26:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:12 AM, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> On 2013-10-24 01:32, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> Can we just protect the ctor execution with a lock? And block any
>>> thread that arrives after ctor initialization started? The check can
>>> still happen in the lock to determine if ctor ran or not, and if not
>>> then give up the lock.
>

> An operating system should not try to solve the synchronization issues of
> applications.  It should only provide the means for synchronization.

Sure, except this case is clearly a matter of the initialization
threads running ahead of each other, which I think is a perversion of
the RTEMS initialization and startup, not an application-specific
problem. I agree that a better fix is to prevent this initialization
race condition in the first place.

>> Yes however I feel this is a hack. The functionality has no place here and
>> any
>> changed to SMP support to provide better control of cores needs to also
>> handle
>> this [1]. We should remove this code from here and clean it up.
>>
>> RTEMS promotes itself as following standards yet the default Init task
>> table
>> support is not a "standard", it is a special case for the RTEMS Classic
>> API. I
>> would prefer RTEMS by default support the standard process for
>> initialisation,
>> that is one thread runs and calls ctors and then calls main. If a current
>> user
>> is using Init task tables to start more than one task then they are not
>> following the standard convention and need to manage calling the static
>> constructors. I think this area is a little murky and could benefit from
>> being
>> made explicit.
>

> I also think that the initialization threads are confusing for new RTEMS
> users.  People know what a main() function is.  Also the mechanism provides
> no benefit and makes things only more complicated.  Everything you can do
> with the initialization tasks table you can do with function calls in
> main().
>
> On the other hand this configuration option is available for several years
> and we should not break existing applications.  For SMP we should consider
> to drop this configuration option and start the system with exactly one
> initialization thread which calls the static constructors and then calls
> main().

I'm on board. I would also suggest we promote using the "standard"
main() entry point for applications, unless there is some particular
reason not to. Would it be simple (e.g. GCI-worthy*) to convert
existing samples/sptests from Init to main()?

-Gedare
* (I know Chris said no GCI on this list, but it's development talk!)