SMP cache synchronisation

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Oct 24 13:41:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-24 15:15, Daniel Hellstrom wrote:
>  From code analysis and testing SMP on LEON I can see that when installing a
> trap handler the cache is not invalidated correctly on other CPUs then the CPU
> installing the new trap handler. In the single-core case this is correct, but
> for SMP we must flush all CPUs caches. I think this is a platform independent
> problem for all self-modifying code. On the LEON SMP we normally don't see this
> since since the bad traps that are installed are never taken.
>
> My suggestion is that we use a IPI to signal to other CPUs to invalidate their
> instruction cache, and CPU requesting such a remote CPU(s) flush should wait
> until all remote CPUs signal that their cache has been invalidated. The cache
> library could be extended to support SMP. Perhaps is should not be a platform
> independednt IPI solution, but rather a libcpu/BSP specific implementation for
> implementing cache flush on another CPU?
>
> What do think about this issue?

The LEON3 has only an operation that invalidates the complete cache, so here a
simple inter-processor event can be used.  On other platforms you have to
perform invalidation by set/way or address.  Here you have to deal with more
than one bit of information which makes things a bit more complicated.

It seems we need a low-level message queue with a broadcast to all processors
feature.  We likely need also low-level barrier operations.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de