cpuset macro /vs/ inline implementation

Daniel Hellstrom daniel at gaisler.com
Thu Oct 31 12:21:49 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 12:38 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2013-10-31 12:30, Daniel Hellstrom wrote:
>> I see that the cpu_set_word_t is set to 32-bit which suites most CPUs, there is
>> probably a good reason for it but would it make sens to make it dependent on
>> the architecture? So that 64-bit machines have it sized to 64-bits. I'm not
>> sure there are 16-bit SMP machines :) .
>
> No, this should be a fixed size integer for all architectures to allow static initialization.  Anyway it will be a long way for RTEMS to support 33 processors.

So what is the point of having an array of 32-bits in the set? If there were a 16-bit SMP CPU would not performance be better to describe it with a 16-bit instead of an 32-bit word? Its probably not
realistic with a 16-bit SMP machine anyway, more realistic is a 64-bit SMP machine. Would the atomicity of having a 64-bit word instead of 32-bit word on a 64-bit machine matter? At this point we
haven't been discussing atomic cpusets, my guess is that other OSes have definitions for that and in that case on a 64-bit machine it could make sens, or what do you think?

I agree that RTEMS will not see more than 32, or 16 for that matter, CPUs for a long time. That was not really my point.

Daniel