or1k nop was Re: Bug at spcache01/init.c ?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Aug 20 19:29:04 UTC 2014

On 8/20/2014 1:23 PM, Hesham Moustafa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I was building the new or1ksim/OpenRISC BSP with --enable-tests
> option. I got some errors from the spcache01/init.c compilation. The
> error is related to assembler
> "spcache01/init.c:117: Error: unrecognized instruction `nop'"
>
> Which is generated from the following line:
>
> "#define I() __asm__ volatile ("nop")"
>
> Should this test be target/feature dependent?
I am surprised that the or1k assembly doesn't include a nop instruction.
It seems to have been in the 18 other architectures before. :)

Worst case, it should be something like this:

#if or1k
#else
#endif

The idea of having assembly in a test is bothersome anyway.

Christian.. I will ask about universality of nop on binutils and cc
you two.

In the mean time, put a workaround in place Hesham.