Using rtl-host in covor - some questions

Krzysztof Mięsowicz krzysztof.miesowicz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 04:54:34 UTC 2014

Hi, thanks for all your replies.

> On 8/13/2014 10:13 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
> > On 14/08/2014 7:34 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> The other part is in covoar itself. As it processes each exe and builds
> >> the internal
> >> database of information, it needs the physical address of each method of
> >> interest
> >> in that particular exe. That is done by an invocation of nm with some
> >> magic processing
> >> afterwards. This could be done with libelf I think.
> > The rtl-host is a wrapper to libelf which is included in the rtl-host
> > code we are not dependent on host specifics or versions.
> Currently covoar uses system() to invoke nm (maybe with a sed) and then
> process it
> using regular file operations.

Not exactly, currently there is do_coverage.sh shell script, where nm is
invoked and its output is filtered with grep and sed before running covoar.
Filtered output is written to text file which is passed to covoar by
configuration file.

Personally, I don't see much difference between invoking nm and
> rtl-host. Either
> will require a system and then loading the symbol set from a file. On a
> large set
> of executables, this may be a large time consumer. It would be better to
> directly
> use libelf to read the symbols. It should simplify and speed things up.
> >>>
> >> Then covoar knows what purpose and scope of the reports are.  As it
> >> stands now, covoar knows NOTHING
> >> about RTEMS. Let's keep it that way.
> > Out of interest what is config file format for covoar ? I have added INI
> > file support to the rtl-host repo and it seems stable and flexible.
> I think it is just name=value without sections. I honestly don't recall
> but it is not fancy.
> It could easily be switched to .ini.

>> covoar gets slower as the set of symbols and tests grows. The standard
> >> run now already does at
> >> least two covoar runs. Once for "all" and one for "core". The build and
> >> test execution time dominates.
> > Where is bottleneck ? The RTL code uses an STL map for symbol look up.
> See above. I think executing nm on each exe with whatever filter
> commands and
> then reading them. Using libelf directly will help a lot.
>
> I don't recall any other hot spots but that there are places where you
> have to
> cycle over all exe's for all symbols of interest. That is obviously
> O( num exes * num syms) but I don't think it is the big issue. I think
> the first
> issue is just like make vs waf. Avoid doing system() and parsing output
> files
> 500 times (# tests) and just read the symbol table directly. That has to
> be a
> huge time saver
> >> As we process smaller sets of symbols, covoar will be faster anyway.
> >> Besides, if it is slow enough,
> >> eventually we will profile and fix it. :)
> >>>
> >> This requires the simulator support. But you should be able to do arm
> >> and x86 with qemu.
> >>>
> >> Chris?
> > Ah yes. I think we should download an image from a know spot but I have
> > not looked into how to do this with the RSB.

Where should I place this image? Is there any RTEMS ftp or something like
this where could I put it, or maybe should I just push it to some Dropbox
or sth and download it with RSB?

> > Maybe building grub from source is possible but that can be something
> > for another day.
> >
> > Chris
>
> --
> joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com        On-Line Applications Research
> Support Available                (256) 722-9985

Chris, should I move rtl-host repo into rtems-tools or wait for your
action? I need it to get covoar-related work ready to commit. I am now
trying to get things working together and would like to prepare patches to
show them working on the end of SOCIS period.