Proper solution for "cannot move location counter backwards" when building tests?

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Thu Feb 13 22:11:51 UTC 2014

I'm testing the phycore_mpc5554 against the latest head, not too successfully.  One hopefully easy problem is that with tests enabled I get this problem building file system tests, including fsdosfsname01:

linkcmds.base:329 cannot move location counter backwards (from 4002c564 to 40010000)

There's a thread about this last November ("Powerpc/mpc55xxevb build failure") with the suggestion that this be conditional on BSP_SMALL_MEMORY.  I don't consider 8MB of memory small, but I'm showing my age, the younger people are spitting out their lattes at that.

What's a proper solution?  Should the mpc55xxevb be marked BSP_SMALL_MEMORY and the test made conditional on that? I'm using a bad solution, "make -k".

Looking forward to 4.11 release ASAP but with a fully-functional phycore_mpc5554 -

Peter