SMP Tests Run Time

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Feb 7 10:39:25 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-06 17:09, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> In investigating Jennifer's SMP test failure issues, it appears
> that a combination of the backtrace only including global
> symbols and the lengthy test execution time make these
> pretty unsuitable on a simulator.
>
> Daniel was nice enough to gather some data for us on smplock01
>
> + 1 minute on 200 Mhz NGMP w/L2 holding the entire application
>     - expected to be 4x faster than LEON3
> + ~10 minutes for dual core on GRSIM
>     - expected to be at least 20 if quad-core
>
> Daniel projected/guessed 10-15s on a 1.2Ghz QorIQ

The test uses 10 seconds per test case:

http://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/testsuites/smptests/smplock01/init.c?id=893d66937a17c4bb9fb3b909cf884948b466a3b5#n341

So on real targets it runs 50 seconds no matter how fast it is.  On a simulator
it depends on the host processor.

> Can the longer running tests be scaled back in execution time and
> meet their goals?

The longer they run the more likely it is to catch sporadic errors.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de