SMP Tests Run Time

Daniel Hellstrom daniel at gaisler.com
Fri Feb 7 12:26:34 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 11:39 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2014-02-06 17:09, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> In investigating Jennifer's SMP test failure issues, it appears
>> that a combination of the backtrace only including global
>> symbols and the lengthy test execution time make these
>> pretty unsuitable on a simulator.
>>
>> Daniel was nice enough to gather some data for us on smplock01
>>
>> + 1 minute on 200 Mhz NGMP w/L2 holding the entire application
>> - expected to be 4x faster than LEON3
>> + ~10 minutes for dual core on GRSIM
>> - expected to be at least 20 if quad-core
>>
>> Daniel projected/guessed 10-15s on a 1.2Ghz QorIQ
>
> The test uses 10 seconds per test case:
>
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/testsuites/smptests/smplock01/init.c?id=893d66937a17c4bb9fb3b909cf884948b466a3b5#n341
>
> So on real targets it runs 50 seconds no matter how fast it is. On a simulator it depends on the host processor.

Ok. That means that the execution time is dependent on the system clock? If that's the case then we could try to lower the frequency of the simulated LEON in GRSIM, that way the clocks/instructions
per clock tick will be lower, thus executes faster. Joel you can try starting GRSIM with 'grsim -freq 5' to run a LEON system of 5MHz, that you be much faster is my guess :)

>> Can the longer running tests be scaled back in execution time and
>> meet their goals?
>
> The longer they run the more likely it is to catch sporadic errors.

That is true.

Daniel

--
Daniel Hellstrom