MMU/Cache analysis for OpenRISC

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Jul 29 01:18:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Hesham Moustafa <heshamelmatary at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read about MMU and Caches in OpenRISC to start implementing
> related managers in the new or1k port. Before beginning to write the
> code, I would like to introduce some of the architecture details
> regarding MMU and Caches.
>
> There are both; data and instruction MMU, TLBs, Caches.
> First, page tables there are divided into two levels; one level can be
> used with 32 GB or 16 MB pages, and two-levels for 8 KB pages. 32 GB
> and 16 MB would be too big for RTEMS, and that led us to two-level 8
> KB pages. Two-level pages would hurt the performance unless we setup
> TLBs at startup statically; there are 128 TLB entries. Other than
> defined run-time sections, the remaining pool of TLB entries can be
> used for dynamic page-table setup.

So you can only have a static setup of at most 1MB (128 entries by 8K)?

Is the only use case for the MMU / virtual memory to have memory protection?

Can the 16MB superpages be mixed with the 8K pages? This can accomodate
some user who might have more than 16MB of memory but wants memory
protection in a static configuration.

-Gedare