MMU/Cache analysis for OpenRISC

Hesham Moustafa heshamelmatary at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 06:42:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 3:18 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Hesham Moustafa <heshamelmatary at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have read about MMU and Caches in OpenRISC to start implementing
>> related managers in the new or1k port. Before beginning to write the
>> code, I would like to introduce some of the architecture details
>> regarding MMU and Caches.
>>
>> There are both; data and instruction MMU, TLBs, Caches.
>> First, page tables there are divided into two levels; one level can be
>> used with 32 GB or 16 MB pages, and two-levels for 8 KB pages. 32 GB
>> and 16 MB would be too big for RTEMS, and that led us to two-level 8
>> KB pages. Two-level pages would hurt the performance unless we setup
>> TLBs at startup statically; there are 128 TLB entries. Other than
>> defined run-time sections, the remaining pool of TLB entries can be
>> used for dynamic page-table setup.
>>

> So you can only have a static setup of at most 1MB (128 entries by 8K)?

Yes if we only used 2 level page tables.

> Is the only use case for the MMU / virtual memory to have memory protection?

It provides address translation, memory protection, cahce and some
features to implement demand paging.

> Can the 16MB superpages be mixed with the 8K pages? This can accomodate some
> user who might have more than 16MB of memory but wants memory protection in
> a static configuration.

I think yes they can be mixed as there is L (Last)  flag in rach PTE
to decide whether it's in a page directory or it points to actual PTE
for translation.

This is [1] the related section at the OpenRISC architecture manual.

[1] http://openrisc.github.io/or1k.html#__RefHeading__504777_595890882