Rtems-test with qemu integration for pc386

Krzysztof Mięsowicz krzysztof.miesowicz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:11:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am currently working on rtems-test integration with qemu (especially
couverture-qemu) for pc386 BSP. Up to now pc386 used two approaches:

1. It used pc386_fda floppy image which boots test.exe from the same
directory

tree:
qemu/
    hd/
        pc386_fda
        test.exe
    install/
       binaries of qemu

command to run hello.exe:
cp ${PATH_TO_SAMPLES}/hello/hello.exe ${QEMUDIR}/hd/test.exe
qemu-system-i386 -m 256 -serial stdio -no-reboot -boot a -fda
$HOME/qemu/pc386_fda -hda fat:$HOME/qemu/hd

2. pc386 rtems executables can be run on qemu using rtems-boot.img and
rtems-grub.cfg. rtems-grub.cfg is specified within rtems-boot.img grub.cfg
file as configfile - grub searches for it in specified location. So
rtems-grub.cfg must contain grub configuration to boot proper executable.
It may contain a lot of menu entries, but it may also look like this below:

# start of rtems-grub.cfg file
serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
set root=(hd0,1)
multiboot (hd0,1)/hello/hello.exe --console=com1
boot
# end of rtems-grub.cfg file

tree:
qemu/
    hd/
        rtems-boot.img
        rtems-grub.cfg

Then, using following command I can run executable specified in
rtems-grub.cfg file:
qemu-system-i386 -boot a -fda $HOME/qemu/hd/rtems-boot.img -hda
fat:$HOME/development/rtems/src/b-pc386/i386-rtems4.11/c/pc386/testsuites/samples
-hdb fat:$HOME/qemu/hd -monitor null -serial stdio --no-reboot -nographic

Knowing these two approaches I wonder what should be best approach to use
with rtems-test. I think that second approach is more suitable, however
there should be some module which would prepare rtems-grub.cfg file for
every test.

Or maybe there exist some way to not writing this rtems-grub.cfg file, but
instead specifying script which would be then passed to grub terminal. From
what I see gdb is working in such way, where BSPs has specified gdb_script
which is then passed to gdb.

I hope you will give me advice how should it be done.

Regards,
Krzysztof Miesowicz