Including paravirtualization headers in RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jun 2 23:03:40 UTC 2014

On 2/06/2014 10:10 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

> For a minimum BSP it is possible to avoid a guest support library
> entirely and simply use a handful of hypercalls.  This probably avoids
> also the GPLv2 problem.  A RTEMS application is then a normal ELF
> executable.

It would go a long away to helping resolve this issue.

> The guest support library provides some higher level services like
> message passing between partitions, etc.  (this is just pack/unpack of
> data plus a hypercall).
>
> XtratuM contains some additional tools to glue partition executables
> together with the hypervisor and a boot loader.  Maybe this is the point
> in which GPLv2 creates derivative work.

I doubt this is the case unless they have code which is GPLv2 that is
linked in. In a GNU Linux system that type of code is under the same
license as RTEMS, GPLv2 with the runtime exception. In GNU Linux systems
the linker does not have any effect on the license. The same goes for
MinGW build applications. XtratuM may have added other clauses but that
stops being GPLv2 and becomes something else altogether.