Including paravirtualization headers in RTEMS

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jun 2 12:10:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-23 10:46, Philipp Eppelt wrote:

>>> Not that I know of. We have discussed a similar issue with the POK
>>> paravirtualization project. The problem is to allow external code
>>> linking to RTEMS. The design should be considered carefully and
>>> probably discussed in a separate thread.
>
> To pick up this discussion, I like first to picture the problem, second
> to collect possible solutions and third name some known problems with
> the solutions.
>

> In a paravirtualized environment we need to make function calls from our
> guest system to the host system. The implementation of these functions
> rely sole on the host system.
> Hence, at compile time the guest system is missing the implementation of
> this host specific functions.
>

> To provide the guest system with the function implementation there are a
> couple of possible solutions.
>
> (A) Provide a host library
> The host compiles a library containing the function implementations
> including all dependencies. This host library is passed to the guest
> system, to resolve the `undefined reference` errors during link time.
> In the case of POK+RTEMS the resulting RTEMS binary is a valid POK
> partition and can run without further modifications.
> The recently propose XantruM BSP seems to follow a similar approach.

Yes, for XtratuM we tried to use (A).  XtratuM is just a normal operating
system with virtual memory (like Linux).  The guest systems are like processes
and run in user mode.  They interact with the hypervisor via so called
hypercalls which are really just system calls, but this sounds hypertimes more
sophisticated.

For a minimum BSP it is possible to avoid a guest support library entirely and
simply use a handful of hypercalls.  This probably avoids also the GPLv2
problem.  A RTEMS application is then a normal ELF executable.

The guest support library provides some higher level services like message
passing between partitions, etc.  (this is just pack/unpack of data plus a
hypercall).

XtratuM contains some additional tools to glue partition executables together
with the hypervisor and a boot loader.  Maybe this is the point in which GPLv2
creates derivative work.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de